I would like to welcome you to the first edition of “Tuesdays With Mr. Knoll” for the 2020-2021 school year. Beginning today, and every other Tuesday, we will be emailing this publication as an effort to update our community about student and staff achievements, as well as upcoming district events. We trust that this information will help you stay up-to-date on what is happening in your Canfield Schools. We encourage you to submit your student and/or staff achievements to the following email…CanfieldUpdate@CanfieldSchools.net
- The 2020-2021 school year is off to a fantastic start! I want to thank our administration, faculty and staff for all their hard work in getting our school buses and buildings ready with all the new Reset and Restart safety guidelines from the Ohio Department of Education and Ohio Department of Health. It has been a herculean effort!
- A big “Hat’s Off” to all of our parents for assisting with symptom screenings in the morning, helping our students to “Mask Up”, and for your patience as we have needed to change many of our customary routines around the district. You are appreciated!!
- Thank you to our Cardinal families and visitors for following our athletic safety protocols. We appreciate your cooperation as you “Mask Up” while on our campus! Send photos to us on our official Facebook @CLSCardinals and use #maskupcardinals for us to post.
- Congratulations to Courtney DeFelice (CVMS), Anthony Holben (CHS), and MacKenzie Thomas (Hilltop) for receiving his/her Master’s Degree this summer. Well done!
- Kristin Morgione (CVMS) was awarded $50 by the Autism Society! She will use the grant to help address the physical fitness, sensory needs, leisure activities and gross motor skills of her students. Great job!
- Congratulations to senior volleyball player Grace Roske for being selected as the Channel 33 Student Athlete of the Week. AWESOME!
- Congratulations to Coach Phil Simone for his 350th career victory against Boardman on September 14!
- Congratulations to Valerie Weingart (CVMS) and a host of other Canfield teachers for helping to raise over $1,500 to help feed the local nurses, respiratory therapists, monitor technicians, doctors, and housekeeping personnel in the fight against COVID-19. What a tremendous gesture teachers…..your support and encouragement of our frontline workers was greatly appreciated.
- We would like to say CONGRATULATIONS to all of our students who participated in the Junior Fair at the Canfield Fairgrounds this year. Please forward us information concerning individual results - we would love to recognize those students in our next issue of Tuesday’s.
- The National School Lunch Program is temporarily offering students free meals. According to the USDA, students will have free meals as late as December 31, 2020, or until funding runs out to help children have access to nutritious food as the country recovers from the COVID-19 pandemic.
- ALL students K-12 may receive a free lunch including those participating in the Cardinal Digital Academy. Students are encouraged to still have money in their PaySchools account for additional purchases such as the snack bar, extra entrees, extra milk, etc.
- Free and Reduced School Meal Applications are available on our website for the 2020-2021 school year. Please click here for the application. We encourage all eligible families to fill out the application in order to be ready to resume the Free and Reduced School Lunch program in January 2021 and for other qualifying purposes.
- Attention Parents: Ohio State Law requires all children to be properly immunized against childhood diseases in order for them to attend school. Without proper documentation of all required immunizations, your child may be excluded from attending school and extracurricular activities beginning Wednesday, September 30, 2020, until written proof of these immunizations is received in the nurse’s office. All school absences from this exclusion are unexcused and will be counted as such. Please submit written documentation from your physician/provider or a copy of your child’s immunization record to the school office.
- If your child has entered 7th grade, a Tdap (Tetanus, Diphtheria and Pertussis) and Meningococcal (A, C, Y, W-135) are required in addition to the shot record the school already has on file.
- If your child has entered 12th grade, a Meningococcal (A, C, Y, W-135) is required after the age of 16 years old in addition to the shot record the school already has on file.
- If you are choosing not to vaccinate your child with one of these required vaccinations, please leave a message at the school or e-mail our nurse at RReynolds@CanfieldSchools.net to get an exemption paper. Please know that by signing the exemption form your child does not have to get the vaccine, however, if an outbreak occurs in Mahoning County, your child may be excluded from school and it will count as an unexcused absence. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter!
Hope you all have a great school year!
Joe Knoll, Superintendent
Honor our past...shape our future!
For more information, visit https://www.canfield.access-k12.org/