March 4, 2020
We take the health and wellness of our students and staff seriously. In light of that, we want to share an important message about the coronavirus (COVID-19) illness. With the virus now spreading outside its origins in China, federal health officials in the United States are preparing. The District is monitoring the situation closely and is taking direction from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Ohio Department of Health and Mahoning County Public Health regarding mitigation procedures.
We are asking parents to help in the effort to minimize the spread of this type of virus by having your family follow the recommendations from the CDC, which are the same ones that everyone should practice during flu season:
- Stay home when you are sick. Please be fever free for at least 24 hours before returning to school.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
In addition, the District is following recommendations from the CDC to clean areas and equipment frequently touched by students and staff, and encourage students to wash hands often. Please report any confirmed case of the flu to help us track viral infections and to better target our sanitizing efforts.
If we do experience COVID-19 cases, we will take our direction from the CDC, Ohio Department of Health and Mahoning County Public Health at that time.
John Tullio, Interim Superintendent